Santa Monica Seafood’s mission is to provide the highest quality and selection of seafood products at fair and reasonable prices while recognizing the importance of conservation and maintenance of a healthy environment.
We are proud to be at the forefront of economic integrity issues regarding species substitution, adulteration, weights, and measures. We take a zero-tolerance approach to seafood fraud and only work with reputable purveyors that have passed a rigorous inspection process. Periodic DNA testing ensures that we’re always delivering exactly what you ordered.
Why Do Business with Santa Monica Seafood?
For starters, there’s the fact that we’ve been the Los Angeles area’s leading seafood distributor since 1939. Since then, Santa Monica Seafood has transformed itself into a company that is not just an industry leader, but a global champion in the effort to protect our ocean’s most precious resources.
These are just some of the reasons Santa Monica Seafood has become the Southwestern US’s seafood purveyor of choice:
- Selection: We offer over 600 species of fish and shellfish daily; each and everyone has been responsibly sourced by one of our full-time buyers. If we don’t have it, and it’s available on the commercial market, we’ll get it for you.
- Local Fish: We’re on the docks in Morro Bay and San Diego when the sun comes up. As direct buyers of seafood (like Swordfish, Dungeness Crab, Rockfish, Sablefish, Uni Roe, and more) we’re able to offer the freshest local seafood at the best price possible.
- Expertise: We have a full-service team of highly trained outside sales representatives backed up by 24-hour customer service. Our expertise is distinguished by over 100 years of experience backed by a systematized buying approach second to none.
- Seafood Education: Ask about ongoing customer training, education, and customized marketing support – we’re here to make you (and your team) into seafood experts.
- Artisanal Cutting/Custom Packaging: We offer custom processing, packaging, and other retail solutions in-house.
- Delivery: You’ve seen our trucks; we’re everywhere — well, almost. We deliver daily to a huge area of California, Arizona, New Mexico, east Texas as well as the Las Vegas region. If you are outside our normal delivery area, our Chef Express program brings our world-class seafood directly to your door anywhere within the continental U.S.
- Certifications: We are the first and only seafood company in the U.S. to achieve both the internationally recognized FSSC 22000 Certification on our foodservice safety systems as well as ISO 14001 Certification. The Company is also BAP, MSC, and ASC certified.
- Sustainability: Santa Monica Seafood’s commitment to seafood sustainability is verified by both its relationships and initiatives. They include:
- Being the first seafood distributor to enter into a formal partnership with the Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Creating the first and only Responsible Vendor Sourcing Program which financially supports sustainability-focused projects within our industry
- The USA’s only seafood distributor to include a sustainability ranking on all customer invoices along with a GPA for all the products purchased
- Santa Monica Seafood is a founding member of Sea Pact, an international organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of seafood’s future.